Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Corporate Sylvanians



It was the holiday season almost twenty years ago. I walked out to the living room one morning. The tree was up. Toys were everywhere. Sylvanians were scattered on the floor next to the little open roof cottage where they "lived." It was not only a mess, I could've stepped on them and that would've hurt almost as much as stepping on a Lego. So, I knelt down and began to sweep them into a little pile near the cottage. I thought, "that looks like a mound of dead animals." Not good. So I distributed them in each of the partitioned rooms, some in the living room, some in the bedroom, some near the kitchen. To make a long story short, by the time the family came out there was a full on formal dinner going on in the Sylvanian household with daddy and mommy greeting guests at the door. Someone else was holding a teeny tray out with bottled refreshments. Lots of relatives were mingling in the living room anxiously waiting to sit and eat. There was grandma in the bedroom with her arms up (they are moveable) in alarm over some stranger rocking the cradle containing a baby Sylvanian. Elizabeth joined in. We had fun moving the creatures around, changing the social dynamic. What is the point of this story? Here's my idea. Right now my cubicle is occupied by flamingos on fake grass. Don't ask why. It's a long story. I want to put a partitioned office floorplan under the lights and have Sylvanians represent the different types of coporate personalities, executives (probably tanuki because they're sneaky) bears, rabbits, etc. People can come up with all sorts of dramatic scenes. Surfing the web I found that the UK, Japan, and Australia are still into Sylvanians and plenty more are traded on Ebay. You've got to watch out for imitations, as the scale factor is different as well as the quality. Take my word for it, these are fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home