Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Currently Invisible Ring

I had a ring made from a silver coin my grandmother was given to pay off a debt when she owned a restaurant, Fukuya, in J-town during the fifties and sixties. The computer won't let go of the image right now so I will post it later today. I had Muriel Chastanet make it for me. When I got it my first reaction was, "Hmm, I'm not too crazy about this." But as I wore it, I liked it more and more. It fits the coin, called an isshu gin, a small rectangular stamped ingot, made during the reign of the last Tokugawa shogun. He was running the show during the 1850's when Commodore Perry "opened" Japan to the West. The emperor, Komei was the symbolic figurehead at the time. It was the beginning of a period of great change for the country, an appropriate symbol to have on a ring as I turn 55 to face my own mini Meiji Era.

2 Comments:

Blogger ubaboy said...

enough about the ring, frodo. Any more pics of Ms. Egg Drop 2006? You know, the asian hottie in the green top?

Also, if anybody is interested in some electrical work, please let me know. If not, just disregard the last part of the message.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

leave frodo alone! whoever you are, apparently you have no life.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home